Tuesday, July 10, 2012

JORN: "Bring Heavy Rock To The Land"

Rating: RRR
Label: Frontiers 2012
Review by Kimmo Toivonen

There's no question about it, Jorn Lande is one of the finest rock/metal-vocalists out there today. He's best known for his work with Masterplan and various projects like Avantasia, but ever since his first solo album in 2000, he has released several albums on his own. Or with a band called JORN, I guess that's the preferred description.

I haven't heard much of Jorn's solo material, but the couple of albums I've heard haven't exactly blown me away. Great vocals of course, but somehow uninteresting song material. "Bring Heavy Rock To The Land" shows some improvement in the songwriting department, with a few rather strong songs.

"My Road" is the "intro" of the album, a short song showcasing Jorn's superb voice, if nothing else. The title track is a hard-hitting, anthemic heavy rock track that will have Jorn's live audiences singing along to the powerful chorus. "A Thousand Cuts" is another winner, thanks to its' melodic chorus. The Christopher Cross cover "Ride Like The Wind" works well too, Jorn adding a gritty edge to this "yacht rock" classic. I still prefer the Saxon version though...

The rest of the album doesn't hold my attention quite as well as the first few songs, even though especially the balladic "The World I See" and the fast-paced "Ride To The Guns" give them a run for their money. As for the rest... solid heavy rock but not too memorable. Kind of like most of Jorn's material?!?


Website

No comments:

Post a Comment